Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Why do it?

photo: James O'Brien

"What do you think are some of the most common mistakes that people make when they're practicing Yoga?" Miriam Austin author of Yoga for Whimps was asked. "I think people try too hard. I tell my students, 'Don't do your best pose. Just do the pose in a whimpier way than what you can' — if we do a pose several times, start out lightly and then by the third or fourth time you can go deeper into the pose." - good advice which will help us all avoid injuries. The description "whimpier way" doesn't immediately connect us to the attitude of precision that we try to cultivate in our yoga practice. But, Austin also recognizes that a good sense of humor and cultivating a spirit of fun can be helpful in yoga practice. The interview ends with this sentiment, " I mostly do Yoga for fun, because it is fun to me! It's great to do handstands and backbends. I probably don't practice the poses I don't like so much! (laughs) But I think that's okay because ultimately if you're not having fun, why do it?"

No comments: